Bank of Selma check from 1862 signed by A.T. Jones of the Shelby Iron Works. The Shelby Iron Works was an important contributor to the Confederate defense industry. The Shelby Iron Works, near Selma,. Alabama, supplied both the Confederate Army and the Confederate Navy with arms and armament. Irion for rifles was supplied by the Shelby Iron Works to Cook & Brothers and for carbines to Dickson, Nelson & Company and also for revolvers to Griswold & Gunnison. A large portion of the arnor plates for the C.S.S. Tennesse was rolled by the Shelby Iron Works.
The Shelby Iron Works was one of the largest and most important iron producers for the Confederacy. It was organized in 1849 by Horace Ware, beginning with a blast furnace and a small rolling mill.
As of September 4, 1862, the Shelby Iron Works was said to be putting up a new furnace to run with cold blast, which was to be completed in 60 days, at which time the firm would be able to turn out seven tons of #1 cold blast charcoal iron per day. Discivered records and invoices show that as of September 29, 1862, a carload of pig-irin, weight 16,380 pounds, cost $327.60, plus freight charges of $22.60, was sent to Macon, Georgia.
Funds were advanced by the Confederate Central Government and a new furance was placed in operation in March of 1863.
Other officers and business interests were John W. and james W. Lapsley, Henry H. Ware, John R. Kenan, John M. McClanahan, and A.T. Jones, who became president of the company at age 33. A.T. Jones was also ths signer of this check.
This Selma Bank check reproduction would look great in an album or display.