Christian Edward Detmold autograph document signed (three times), June 28, 1851, Lonaconing [Maryland. Christian Edward Detmold (1810-87) was a Civil Engineer who constructed Fort Sumter (Charleston S.C.) of Civil War fame and also the Crystal Palace for the 1853 World's Fair. It is also signed (on the reverse) by Colonel Joseph H. Tucker, who built and commanded Camp Douglas, IL, a Civil War training and POW camp in 1862. Tucker signs this as cashier of the Mineral Bank of Allegany, Maryland. The document is a promissory note by Detmold to Mssrs. Manning of Lee of Baltimore, promising to pay to himself $1,000. Detmold signs in the text, and the conclusion as President of the Valley Mining & Manufacturing Co., (an iron producer), and on the reverse, endorsing the amount. The note has a 50 cent embossed Maryland Revenue Stamp. Detmold was born in Hanover, Germany. He came to U.S. in 1826, and became a surveyor in Charleston, S.C. In 1828 he made the drawings for the first locomotive built by Messrs Kemble in New York. He completed the survey for the Charleston & Hamburg RR & Canal Co. in 1830 and also won a $500 prize for designing a horse treadmill locomotive used by this company. He worked for U.S. War Dept. from 1833-4 during which time he supervised the laying of the foundations of Fort Sumter, SC. From 1834-44 he was surveyor on various Eastern railroads. From 1846-52, the time of this note, he was involved in manufacturing iron in Lonaconing, MD. He leased the poorly working Lonaconing iron furnace from the Georges Creek Coal and Iron Co. and formed his own company (he signs this note in this capacity), rebuilt the boilers, built a tram to ship the ore, etc.. By 1847 he had made it a success. The furnace was producing 2,500 tons of pig iron annually. Jealous of his success, the Coal Co., did not renew his lease in 1851. Undaunted, he turned his attention to New York, where he was the superintending architect and engineer of the Crystal Palace, World's Fair "Exhibition of the Industry of All Nations" which opened in 1853. Afterwards, he was President of the New Jersey Zinc Co. and originated and successfully developed the manufacture of "Spiegel" iron from the residue of zinc ore. He authored two works, including a translation of the principal historical, political, and diplomatic writings of Machiavelli. His son-in-law was a German Count. His brother, William Ludwig Detmold, introduced orthopedic surgery into the U.S. and during the Civil War was a volunteer surgeon for the Union. William also taught orthopedic surgery at Columbia College. In 1851 Joseph H. Tucker, who endorses this document, was serving as Cashier of the Mineral Bank of Allegany, MD. He later became president of the bank, served as Captain of a Cumberland, Maryland militia unit (the "Continentals"). He was Mayor of Cumberland, MD from 1856-57. In 1858 he moved to Chicago and with his brother, Hyram, became a merchant broker and banker. By 1861 he was on the Chicago Board of Trade, trading under the firm name of Tucker and Randolph. When the war broke out, he was appointed Colonel of the 69th Il. Vols. and placed in command of Camp Douglas, a camp he was also tasked with constructing. His son, Capt. Lansing Tucker, also of the 69th Ill, died in 1862. After the war he moved to New York and worked as a stock broker.
This Christian Edward Detmold autograph reproduction would look great in an albim or display.