Shopping Cart: 0 item(s)
Search   



Categories:





Quick Find:


Use keywords to find the autograph you are looking for.
Advanced Search




BestSellers:





Hartford Bank     $15.00
Hartford Bank
Click to enlarge

On 29 May 1792, the Hartford Bank was the first bank to be granted a charter in the State of Connecticut. Such notable persons as Noah Webster, John Trumbull and Jeremiah Wadsworth were among those who were instrumental in establishing the Bank. On 8 August 1792, the Hartford Bank opened for business at a location on the south side of Pearl Street just a short distance from Main. Throughout its long history it has been situated in the business center of Hartford and always within a block of the original site. In 1810, the Bank moved to its first permanent banking house, which was an impressive Greek revival building at 58 State Street, facing the north side of the State House. It remained in that location for the next one hundred years.

The Hartford Bank played a vital role in the growth of the insurance industry and contributed to the overall commercial development of the Connecticut River Valley. It successfully weathered the financial panics and crises of the nineteenth century when many other banks were failing. In 1865, it joined the national bank system and became known as the Hartford National Bank.

The merger of the Farmers and Mechanics National Bank, in 1910, marked the beginning of a series of consolidations which would bring financial as well as executive resources to the Hartford National Bank. After a merger with the Aetna National Bank, in 1915, the name was changed to the Hartford-Aetna National Bank, which had a capital of $2,000,000 and total resources of $14,865,000. It had moved, in 1911, to a spacious 11-story building on the corner of Main and Asylum Streets which still stands today.

The most significant consolidation occurred in 1927 when the Hartford-Aetna merged with the United States Security Trust Company. This move not only increased the capital and surplus to $4,000,000 each, but it also introduced executive leadership whose influence would be felt for decades to come. It was at this time that the Bank adopted its present name—the Hartford National Bank and Trust Company.

In 1928, the Hartford-Aetna Building (Main & Asylum) was sold and the Head Office was moved to the former quarters of the United States Security Trust Company, on the corner of Main and Pearl Streets. That building was replaced in 1967 by the 26—story HNB Building which the Bank occupies today.

By 1970, a total of twenty banks and trust companies had been consolidated into the Hartford National family and today their services cover the entire State of Connecticut.

       

CHRONOLOGY

  1792 May 29 Hartford Bank granted charter  
  August 8 Hartford Bank opened for business  
  1810 Moved to its first permanent banking house 58 State Street  
  1865 Joined the national bank system, known as the Hartford National Bank  
  1915 Merger with the Aetna National Bank, name was changed to Hartford-Aetna National Bank  
  1927 Hartford-Aetna merged with the United States Security Trust Company  
  1927
Name changed to Hartford National Bank and Trust Company
 
Prepared by Judy I. Curtis.

  




 


Add to Wish List






Information: