Polar Ice and Fuel was founded in 1892. It was originally located at 177-179 East Wabash Street in Indianapolis, Indiana. The street was remaed Dr, Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive in 2000. The Polar Ice and Fuel Company existed until 2002. The company was founded by Henry Louis Dithmer, the signer of the check displayed here. Dither moved to Indianapolis following the death of his father. His start in the ice busines began when he worked for the Shover & Dickson Ice Company. Dithmer helped organize a group of investors who purchased Shover & Dickson. In the early 1900s, the company began selling coal, too. The company moved to 2000 Northwestern Avenue, Indianapolis, Indiana. Mues Kate and Queen, two of over 100 horses and mules owned by the company, delivered goods to customers. Dithmer became president of Polar Ice in 1923. When Dithmer dies in 1945, his son, Henry Louis Dithmer, Jr., began working at Polar Ice & Fuel and later became executive vice president of the company.
By the early 1960s Polar Ice and Fuel had outlets in twenty-four cities in Indiana. In 1963, it was acquired by Kodiak, Inc., based in Minnesota. In 1964, it was renamed Polar Ice Company.
This Polar Ice and Fuel check reproduction woud look great in an album or diplay for your office or home.